Sunday 4 August 2013

The Problems With the Canberra Theatre Scene #2

Firstly, thank you to everyone for such a warm and constructive reaction. There are already many positive discussions going on, both in comments here and on Facebook, and I think that is the next step in solving the problem.

4. Repetition, Repetition, Let's Sing It Again
I love the classics. They're classics for a reason: everybody can relate to them and enjoy them. But I also like things I haven't seen before, which is apparently too big a gamble for many theatre companies in Canberra. We see the same shows re-produced in what appears to be a seven year cycle, and nobody seems to bat an eyelid.
I get it, why would you chance a new show that people might not like, or may not even come to because they've never heard of it. I understand that in order to survive in their already difficult financial position, theatre companies need to bank on "sure things". But why do they always have to be the same "sure things" over and over again.
I think that once something begins to get a "Oh, we're doing THAT again, are we?" reputation (like Philo doing Les Mis), it should be retired for a decade. This has nothing to do with the quality of the productions or the good intentions of the companies; it's about keeping theatre interesting. While Philo's last Les Mis gave us no data to support this, I worry that repetition of other shows may drive off audiences, because they, like the actors, may not want to experience the same show again.
This is where tremendous kudos go to Repertory, Everyman and Centrepiece, and even the Q, because they are willing to follow their artistic interests and trust enough that audiences will come along for the ride. And by closing, they're usually right.
I think there will always be a place for the classics, both done as classics and "re-imagined" (if done well), but I'm suggesting that maybe some companies need to broaden their horizons a little.


5. Ticket Prices
A night out for two at the theatre isn't cheap. By the time you've paid almost $80 for tickets, purchased some drinks at the bar, got the programme, had dinner etc, you're nearing the $100 mark.*
There are MANY reasons why this happens. Production costs, costume budgets, set budgets, theatre hire (and all the extra staff you have to pay for if that theatre is the Q), show rights etc cost money, and that has to come from somewhere. It is arguably a necessary evil.
But it places tremendous strain on the production. In the first place, hundreds of people look at the theatre price and decide that they don't want to pay that much money to see amateurs perform (unless they have friends in the cast). Lower ticket prices and student rush nights have proven to be effective in attracting and re-attracting crowds.
On top of that, as That Guy Who Watches Canberra Theatre has pointed out, there is the huge strain on the performers. Inexperienced and "untrained" (either formally or simply through experience) performers get stuck with a slightly-resentful audience before the house lights go down. They then get to fight the uphill battle to curtain call. I think companies need to look at the calibre of what they're producing and adjust the pricing accordingly. That or, heaven forbid what this may cause, look at the ticket price and use that as a marker for what the quality of the show should be.

*Pricing not 100% accurate. For purists out there, if tickets are $45 each (a standard), it's actually $90 for two (obviously), but I was being generous. Followed by a trip to the bar, you've reached $100. Programs and dinner cost extra, obviously. The pricing provided in the above section is meant purely as an example. That fact that it is lower than the actual cost of a night at the theatre speaks volumes. Regardless, anyone actually understanding the point of the article can figure that out... A hint is that it is in the heading...


As usual, comments welcome (as long as they're not a pedantic waste of everyone's time) and more posts to come

11 comments:

  1. I know a couple of theatre companies used to have a "pay what you can" night which sadly seems to have disappeared. This night meant that people like students and the unemployed amongst us could come along and see great theatre without breaking the bank. I know theatre companies need to make a profit and hence need to sell as many tickets as they can but I do think that this was a sad tradition to see go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For small theatre companies it is not about making a profit, but about losing as little as you can. Breaking even is the dream...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The revival of the revival of the revival syndrome is annoying BUT ... in this case, we may be getting into "The main problem with Canberra Theatre is Audiences"... I've been told Les Mis sold out regularly, which ... is annoying but short of standing in front of the theatre saying "don't watch this show", what can you do? It also had 150 people auditioning, which is a ridiculously large number of people by any standards. People audition for, and come to see, shows they know - they don't audition and come to see shows they don't know. I'd like to think I'm a bit more informed and risk-taking, but ... at the same time, my experimentalism has its limits. I haven't seen a Hive show yet and I haven't seen a CYT show in about 7 years... and I'm aware that's wimpish of me, but ... I need something I can latch onto. A new play by a new author with all new actors and a new director and I get a little hinky...

    Certainly, there's not a lot of experiments being tried in the music theatre recently (or in the near future). Phoenix is lugging out Annie for its regular appearance, Supa's Footloose is at least the second time it's been done locally, Philo's Little Shop of Horrors is ever-revived, Queanbeyan's Annie Get Your Gun is ... okay, that's not that often these days, but it's not exactly cutting edge modern, and Free Rain ... wait, nobody's done that locally before. Okay, they win that round. Even Everyman is bringing back Musical of Musicals (I love them dearly but ... are they expecting to fall that short of breakeven on Home at the End?)

    Look, I'm all in favour of doing a safe show so that you can save up enough money to do a risky show. But if you're doing a safe show so that you have enough money to do another safe show ... that's where it's time to give the game away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admit that even I gravitate to shows that I know I'll like (or enjoy cheering for friends in), rather than new things. This has less to do with my theatrical taste, however, and more to do with my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Egerly awaiting third installment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since you are soliciting comment ... re #5 You say you paid $80 for tickets, then bought some drinks which would have to be $10 minimum, and a program for at least $5. So where exactly did you and your friend go for dinner at $2.50 a head ? Not to mention the “etc”. Cheeseburgers all round was it ? I am concerned at what must be either a severe lack of arithmetic skill, or exceedingly poor taste in dining establishments. Either way, you've lost me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word you want is arithmetical. Otherwise you've just put two nouns together. Maybe your grammatical skills require more attention.

      Did I say "Exactly $100"? Was the post about "A night a the theatre costs too much all-round"? Or are you just being a douchebag?

      Your point is not only irrelevant, but a rather sad attempt at what I assume was supposed to make me feel bad about myself? Possibly re-think my entire shallow existence and run away to live on an ostrich farm? Well done, Smeghead. Thanks for your contribution.

      Quite frankly, good whatever-you-are, I'm glad to have lost you, because you would just be slowing the rest of us down.

      Delete
    2. from the Shorter Oxford:
      arithmetic: noun & adjective. ORIGIN French arithmétique: see arithmetic noun A noun. An arithmetician. B adjective. Of, pertaining to, or connected with arithmetic; according to the rules of arithmetic. arithmetic mean (of n numbers): their sum divided by n. arithmetic progression, arithmetic series: in which there is a constant (positive or negative) difference between successive quantities, as 2, 5, 8, 11.

      Delete
    3. Disappointing fail. I have no issue with the word "arithmetic", but you were using it as an adjective.
      While it's not technically wrong, you'd be better off using "arithmetical". Otherwise I would say that a fast car was a "speed car" and then I'd be charged alongside you for the gradual murder of the English language.
      See how annoying it is when someone nitpicks an irrelevant piece of a broader work?

      Regardless, I have adjusted the post for your self-gratification.

      Delete
    4. Mr Ruffalupagous7 August 2013 at 05:49

      I like how this guy(?) chose to whinge about probably the LEAST offensive thing on here... The one that doesn't criticise any company or theatre style.

      "Tickets are expensive? How DARE you, sir?! Allow me to mock you through clumsily phrased intellectualism" (I totally agree, "arithmetical skills" reads better. Prose has to flow.)

      I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of disliking someone and, for inability to find anything else, mocking what they eat for lunch.

      "Look at that smug bastard... Eatin' them crackers like he owns the place". Also, before you start, I'm aware that crackers should not be treated as a nutritious lunch.

      Delete
  7. I will say, there's two things that are the key driver of ticket prices. And neither of them are "competence of the performers".

    One is venue costs. The other is rights hire. Rights take a very large chunk, particularly for musicals (which charge the bigger prices). Venues also cost a bomb - yes, even the Courtyard Studio is not exactly cheap for the number of seats it has on offer.

    I know from productions I've worked on where I've been able to see the budget, it's done very much on the smell of an oily rag, and it's rare for a company around town to have significant cash reserves. There are a couple of tricks out there to get cheaper tickets (matinees are generally cheaper, as are previews, and some companies offer an under 30s discount). For instance, the most expensive show in town at the moment, Phantom (and the main stage of the Canberra theatre is the most expensive hire in town ... plus two professional performers and a professional director also taking their chunk of the fees) has tickets available for the 2pm preview this Saturday for under $50 per standard ticket. That's $30 less than their normal premium price.... it's still not cheap, but ... you can understand where the budget is going.

    ReplyDelete